Other Corvallis associations
- Corvallis Swing Dance Society
- “A fine social club for dancing the Lindy hop and other street dances of the proletariat.”
Swing dances, 2nd Sundays 3-5 pm
Links to other swing and Lindy events in the region.
- Corvallis Fall Festival
- Annual, late-September arts, crafts, and live music.
- da Vinci Days
- Annual, mid-late July, kinetic sculpture race, live music, arts, science
- Chamber Music Corvallis
- “Celebrating 49 years of bringing only the finest chamber music to Oregon”
- Corvallis Community Band
- “…a musical organization, open to any one who plays a band instrument with at least high school level ability. The Band’s purpose is two-fold: to provide concerts for the enjoyment of the community and to provide a friendly, high-quality musical organization for people who want to continue playing music with other like-minded people”
- Corvallis OSU Symphony
- Corvallis youth Symphony Association
- Heart of the Valley Choir
- “… the choir supports the music education and personal growth of 300 children from Benton, Linn and Marion Counties.”
- Hilltop Big Band
- OSU Music Department
Local retail outlets of note
- The Book Bin
- 215 S.W. 4th Street, Corvallis, OR 97333, (541) 752-0040
Used and some new books, CDs, and DVDs. Occasional live music.
- Bullfrog Music
- 423 SW 3rd St., (541)752-1253
“…a shop dedicated exclusively to new and used fretted instruments.” New, some used, repair, and instruction. Moved spring 2008 to new address, above.
- The Fingerboard Extension
- 120 NW Second Street, Corvallis, OR 97330 (541)752-5679
New and used musical instruments, more stringed than otherwise.
- Gracewinds Music
- Grass Roots Books and Music
- 227 SW 2nd, Corvallis 97333, 541-754-7668
A local book and CD store, Grass Roots handles the sales of tickets for many CFS events.
- Happy Trails
- 100 SW 3rd Street, (541)752-9032
“The Best Selection of New & Used CDs in the mid-valley area.”
- Majestic Theater
- 115 Southwest 2nd Street, Corvallis, OR 97333-4737, (541) 758 7827
Home of the Corvallis Community Theater Available for rentals. Occasional location of concerts of interest.
- OSU “Beaver Store”
- 663 SW 26th Street, 541-737-4323
- The Troubadour Music Center and Instrument Repair Shop
- 125 SW Washington, (541)752-7720
“New, used, and consigned Instruments, Lessons, Complete Accessories, Restoration and Repair.” Occasional instrument set-up, restoration, and repair workshops. Troubadour also occasionally hosts concerts.
- 1305 Main St. Philomath 541-609-1672
Wind instrument specialists, also work with stringed instruments
- Winestyles Corvallis
- 2333 NW Kings Blvd, Corvallis, 97330, 541-738-9463
Wine store with occasional live music events. Occasional event ticket sales.
Organizations and events in the region
- Eugene Folklore Society
- Contra dances on 2nd and 4th Saturdays
Annual Dance Camp in early April
Odd year dance camp in July
- Wooden Boat Festival
- Held in September in Port Townsend, WA. Lots of music plus a great shanty sing.
- Eugene Irish Cultural Festival
- 6th annual festival, March 5 & 6, 2009
- Lane County Ukulele Club (ukulaneys – Eugene)
- Cute on-line (flash) uke tuner!, chord charts, songs (in PDF files), sources for Ukes, and links to on-line tunes.
- Salem Folklore Community / KMUZ
- Salem Folklore has no online presence. However, the free music station KMUZ is associated. Mini-festivals in June and December, the annual Westwind Musical Gathering on the Oregon coast, the first weekend in May.
- Salem Uke Strummers Association (SUSA)
- Monthly gatherings (second Sundays)
- Portland Country Dance Community
- Contra dances on 2nd, 4th, and 5th Saturdays
English Country Dancing every Friday
Contra dance and music camp over Labor Day
(NEW) In-Town Contra dance weekend in May
PCDC has a nice set of links to other dance events
- Portland Folk Music Society (Formerly the Portland Folklore Society)
- Concerts, coffee houses, song circles, and open mikes. They also have a thorough calendar and set of links.
- Portland Songwriters Association Society
- Workshops (third Saturdays), showcases (second Wednesdays), seminars, quarterly newsletter (available on-line), song contest ($1000 in prizes), and membership directory.
- Bubba Guitar (Old Time Music in Portland)
- Thorough calendar and links (to articles, associations, and tunes), old-time square dances, annual Old-time music gathering (mid January).
- Portland Uke Association
- “Dedicated to the fun and fellowship of ukulele playing.” Monthly gatherings (fourth Sundays), with beginner instruction.
- Mid-Columbia Folklore Society (Hood River and The Dalles, OR)
- Contra dances on 2nd Saturdays, October to June
Occasional House Concerts
Annual “Simcoe Mountain Music & Dance weekend” (early September)
- Central Oregon Songwriters Association (Bend)
- Monthly gatherings (last Sundays), index of member bios,
- The Olympia Old-Time Music Festival\
- “This is the 2nd annual Old-Time Music Festival, held in beautiful Olympia Washington. There will be two square dances, an awesome concert, workshops for various instruments, and tons of jamming all weekend long. This is a festival for old time musicians, square dancers, contra dancers, folk enthusiasts, shape note singers, and all others that can enjoy having a good old time. Visit our website to find the detailed schedule of events.” $10 each evening, many free events during the days.
- Northwest Folklife
- Best known for the (free) Northwest Folklife Festival at the end of May (estinates up to 50,000 visitors each day for four days), Folklife also produces a film series and educational efforts throughout the year.
- Seattle Folklore Society
- Concerts, house concerts, song circles, a very thorough monthly newsletter, jam sessions, and contra and English Country dances. They also provide a lengthy list of places to play.
- Songwriters Of the Northwest Guild (S.O.N.G.) (Seattle area)
- Monthly gatherings first Thursdays), featuring workshops, presentations, and critiques. “Member showcase” links to member information and MP3 files.
- Pacific Northwest Folklore Society
- Fee library folk song concerts (summers) second Friday coffee house concerts, occasional house concerts, and an active web site with audio & video files, photos, and a listing of events.
- Three Rivers Folk Society (Richland, WA)
- Concerts, song circle, contra dances, coffee houses, annual “Tumbleweed Music Festival” Labor Day weekend
3RFS has a nice set of links
- American Banjo Camp
- Labor Day weekend, Fort Flagler, Washington
Workshops, jamming, concerts, and demonsrations. Register in advance ($395), first-come, first served.
- Vancouver (BC) Folk Song Society
- Twice monthly folk singing events, annual summer and winter retreats, informal events in member’s homes, and participation in major peace marches.
- British Columbia Folklore Society
- Folklore with a broad definition, music, songs, legends, material culture, and history.
Other regional dance organizations
- Ashland- 3rd Saturday contra dances
- Astoria -Monthly contra dances (dates vary). For more information, call (503) 325-0278
- Bend -2nd Sat contra dances
- Coos Bay -3rd Sat contra dances, start time 7:30pm
- Eugene -2nd & 4th Saturdays
- La Grande -NE Oregon Folklore Society – 2nd Saturdays
- Grant County (Mt. Vernon) – Fourth Saturdays
- Hood River -2nd Sat contra dances
- McMinnville English Country Dance Lessons -Every Thursday (with break from Thanksgiving through New Years)
- Portland- Portland Contra Dances – Every Saturday (some hosted by PCDC)
- Elsewhere- Contra Dance Links on the Web
- Elsewhere- The Dance Gypsy (New England and lots of camps)
Also of interest in Oregon & Washington
- Florence Folk Festival (Florence, January)
- Rainy Camp (Seattle, late January)
- Eugene Irish Culture Festival (March)
- Singtime Frolics (near Portland, March)
- Seattle Autoharp Week (Belleview, WA, March)
- Willamette Valley Autoharp Gathering (Salem, July)
- Oregon Country Fair (Venta, July)
- Sisters Folk Festival (Sisters, September)
- The Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS)
- North American Folk Music and Dance Alliance
- International organization, with a huge annual conference, almost a “folk music industry trade show,” now held in Memphis each year.
- FAR-West (Folk Alliance Region – West)
- The regional branch of the national organization, with a conference in the region each year.
- National Old Time Fiddlers Association
- Serving the Old Time Music community and promotes Old Time Fiddling throughout the world.
A webpage about “all” dance stylesBrief overview of dozens of dance styles, outstanding dancers in some of the styles, a few interesting dance moves. Very much not contra or folkdance oriented.
Whofish link for non-profit http://nonprofit.whofish.org