CFS contra dance evenings in Corvallis are on the first and third Saturday of the month except in July and August. There are occasional special dances too.
Please check the Calendar of Contra dances for individual dance details.
- Our dances always have a caller and live music, usually a band with 3 or 4 members who play a lively mix of instruments that might include fiddle, guitar, mandolin, piano, banjo, (bag) pipes or pretty much anything
- We begin with a “newcomer’s session” at 7:30 pm
- The “main” dance is from 8 pm to 11 pm with an intermission
- Newcomers are welcome
- We draw dancers from every age and ability from teens to retirees
- Every dance starts with a “walk through” to teach the dance sequence, and is called during the dance
- Regular price is $7.00 at the door. CFS members get a $1 discount. There are occasional “special” dances with “special” prices
- We suggest that dancers wear “cool, comfortable, casual clothes”. “Swirly” skirts are common, as are shorts (contra is aerobic!)
- We suggest flat shoes with clean soft soles. Tennis or gym shoes are fine.
- Please refrain from wearing fragrances, perfumes, and colognes. Some of our dancers have chemical sensitivities
Quite often, a CFS member will host a potluck before the evening dance. Often, several dancers will get together at a local bar or restaurant after the dance to talk and wind down.
For more information, contact Frank or Karen at (541) 745-1002 or cfs.contradances @ gmail.com
Each Presidents day weekend, we host the Corvallis Contradance Weekend, a full weekend of contra dance, music and community.
Local Callers and Bands
Corvallis Dance Locations:
FUMC Community Hall (First United Methodist Church)
1166 NW Jackson Avenue. We use the community center, on the southwest corner of 11th and Jackson. It has a large parking lot.
View FUMC Community Hall in a larger map
Where else can I dance?
- Corvallis Hoolyeh Folk Dancing — 1st and 3rd Sundays at the First Congregational Church on West Hills Road. Time: 7 to 9 pm. Costs: $3, discount for CFS members
- Ashland contra dances — USUALLY third Saturdays in Ashland
- Ashland Heather and Rose Country Dancers — Gender free dances every Monday, 7:30 to 9:30
- Astoria contra dances — Monthly (dates vary). For more information, call (503) 325-0278
- Bend contra dances — Second Saturday (Oct to April, sometimes 4th Sats too!)
- Coos: South Coast Folk Society — Third Saturdays at the Greenacres Grange between Coos Bay and Coquille. Start time 7:30pm
- Eugene Contra Dances — 2nd & 4th Saturdays
Corvallis contra dancers heading to Eugene will often meet up by 7:00 pm in front of the New Morning Bakery (219 SW 2nd Street) to carpool.
- Hood River contra dances — Second Saturdays
- Klamath Falls contra dances (Facebook page) — OCCASIONAL Saturdays in Klamath Falls
- La Grande contra dances — Second Saturdays (NE Oregon Folklore Society)
- McMinnville English Country Dance Lessons — Every Thursday (with break from Thanksgiving through New Years)
Newport Contra Dance — Usually fifth Saturdays (roughly quarterly).(disbanded)
- Pistol River ContraDances — 3rd Fridays at 24252 Carpenterville Rd, Pistol River, OR
- Portland Contra Dances — Every Saturday (some hosted by PCDC)
- Salem contra dances — Irregular, often fifth Saturdays
- Vancouver, Washington contra dance — Second Friday
- Elsewhere — Contra Dance Links on the Web
- Elsewhere — The Dance Gypsy (excellent coverage of New England, good elsewhere, and lots of camps)