Regular CFS contra dance evenings in Corvallis are on the first and third Saturday of the month except in July and August. There are occasional special dances too.
Please check the Calendar of Contra dances for individual dance details.
- Our dances always have a caller and live music, usually a band with 3 or more members who play a lively mix of instruments that might include fiddle, guitar, mandolin, piano, banjo, (bag) pipes or pretty much anything
- We begin with a “newcomer’s session” of dance instruction at 7:00 pm
- The “main” dance is from 7:30 pm to 10:30 pm with an intermission
- Beginners are always welcome. We think this is a very easy and
- We draw dancers from every age and ability from teens to retirees
- Dances starts with a “walk through” to teach the dance sequence, and is called during the dance
- The price is now a sliding scale of $8 to $10 at the door. CFS members get a $2 discount, as do people who arrive by bike or foot. People 18 and under get in free. There are occasional special dances with visiting special and nationwide bands at different prices.
- We suggest that dancers wear “cool, comfortable, casual clothes”. “Swirly” skirts are common, as are shorts (contra is aerobic!).
- We suggest flat shoes with clean soft soles. Tennis or gym shoes are fine.
- Please refrain from wearing fragrances, perfumes, and colognes. Some of our dancers have chemical sensitivities.
Quite often, a CFS member will host a potluck before the evening dance. Often, several dancers will get together at a local bar or restaurant after the dance to talk and wind down.
For more information contact Jennifer Carlin: phone: 541.231.0008 or email: Contras @ CorvallisFolklore.org.
2019-2020 CORVALLIS CONTRA-DANCE
Fall/Winter Band and Caller Line-up:
9/21 Euphemists w/ Michael Karcher
10/05 The Nettles w/ Laurel Thomas
10/17 DAM BEAVERS w/ Seth Tepfer Thursday @ OSU MU
11/02 Treehouse w/ Shell Stowell
11/16 Joyride w/ Deb Comly
11/25 FAUX PAWS w/ George Marshall Monday $12
12/07 Uncle Farmer w/ Susan Petrick
12/21 Bandwidth w/ Isaac Banner
Each Presidents day weekend, we host the Corvallis Contradance Weekend, a full weekend of contra dance, music and community.
Corvallis Dance Locations:
FCC Gatton Hall (First Congregational Church)
4515 West Hills Road, Corvallis, Oregon
FUMC Community Center (First United Methodist Church)
1166 NW Jackson Avenue. We use the community center, on the southwest corner of 11th and Jackson. It has a parking lot.
Boys & Girls Club of Corvallis
1112 Northwest Circle Blvd, 757-1909
Cheldelin Middle School
987 NE Conifer, between Hwy. 99 and Hwy. 20.
Other dance/Music Events
Where else can I dance?
- Corvallis Hoolyeh Folk Dancing — 1st and 3rd Sundays at the First Congregational Church on West Hills Road. Time: 7 to 9 pm. Costs: $3, discount for CFS members
- Ashland contra dances — USUALLY third Saturdays in Ashland
- Ashland Heather and Rose Country Dancers — Gender free dances every Monday, 7:30 to 9:30
- Astoria contra dances — Monthly (dates vary). For more information, call (503) 325-0278
- Bend contra dances — Second Saturday (Oct to April, sometimes 4th Sats too!)
- Coos: South Coast Folk Society — First (and Fifth) Saturday October – May. Bay Area Senior Activity Center: 4th and Ingersoll, Coos Bay. Start time 7:00pm
- Eugene Contra Dances — 2nd & 4th Saturdays
- Eugene English & Scottish Country Dance — Every Thursday 7:00pm
- Hood River contra dances — Second Saturdays
- Klamath Falls contra dances (Facebook page) — OCCASIONAL Saturdays in Klamath Falls
- La Grande contra dances — Second Saturdays (NE Oregon Folklore Society)
- McMinnville English Country Dance Lessons — Every Thursday (with break from Thanksgiving through New Years)
- Pistol River ContraDances — 3rd Fridays at 24252 Carpenterville Rd, Pistol River, OR
- Portland Contra Dances — Every Saturday (some hosted by PCDC)
- Salem contra dances — Irregular, often fifth Saturdays
- Vancouver, Washington “Contra in the Couve” — Second Friday. Lesson at 7:30, dance at 8:00
- Elsewhere — Contra Dance Links on the Web
- Elsewhere — Ted Crane’s very complete database of musicians, callers, dances
- Elsewhere — The Dance Gypsy (excellent coverage of New England, good elsewhere, and lots of camps)