Regular CFS contra dance evenings in Corvallis have resumed… carefully… once per month in March, April, May, and June of 2022. Pre-registration, masks, and vaccinations will be required throughout the rest of the season!
- Here’s a link to our Corvallis Contra Dance COVID-19 Policy.
- Before attending a dance you will be required to sign a Contra Dance Waiver of Liability and a waiver for the use of Gaton Hall.
Please check the Calendar of Contra dances for individual dance details.
As we resume dancing during the COVID-19 pandemic, dance timing, admission cost, and other details may vary from the information below. Please check event descriptions for the most up-to-date information.
- Our dances always have a caller and live music, usually a band with 3 or more members who play a lively mix of instruments that might include fiddle, guitar, mandolin, piano, banjo, (bag) pipes, or a variety of other instruments from around the world.
- We begin with a “newcomer’s session” of dance instruction at 7:00 pm.
- Dances will typically use genderless role calls; Larks and Robins is common for the format of contra dances, but positional calling may also be instructed at the dance and will depend on the caller.
- The “main” dance is from 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm with an intermission.
- Beginners are always welcome, even if you don’t make it to the instruction session.
- We draw dancers from every age and ability from teens to retirees; from “first dance ever” to “been a dancer for decades.”
- Each dance set starts with a “walk through” to teach the dance sequence and moves, and the dance is called during the dance. Each set lasts about 15 minutes including the walk-through.
- The price is now a sliding scale of $12 to $20 at the door. CFS members get a $2 discount, as do people who arrive by bike or foot. People 18 and under get in free. College students with ID are half-price, $6. There are occasional special dances with visiting special and nationwide bands at different prices.
- We suggest that dancers wear “cool, comfortable, casual clothes.” “Swirly” skirts are common, as are shorts, kilts, and dresses (contra is aerobic!). Many people bring extra changes of clothes in order to manage the aerobic “experience.”
- We suggest flat shoes with clean soft non-marking soles. Tennis or gym shoes are usually fine. Jazz-style dance shoes are recommended.
- Please refrain from wearing fragrances, perfumes, and colognes. Some of our dancers have chemical sensitivities.
Occasionally, a CFS member will host a potluck before the evening dance. Currently, no potlucks are planned when observing Covid Protocols. Often, several dancers will get together at a local bar or restaurant after the dance to talk and wind down (often 3rd St. McMenamins outdoors).
For more information contact Jennifer Carlin: phone: 541.231.0008 or email: Contras @ CorvallisFolklore.org.
Each Presidents day weekend, we host the Corvallis Contradance Weekend, a full weekend of contra dance, music, and community.
Corvallis Dance Locations:
FCC Gatton Hall (First Congregational Church)
4515 West Hills Road, Corvallis, Oregon
FUMC Community Center (First United Methodist Church)
1166 NW Jackson Avenue. We use the community center, on the southwest corner of 11th and Jackson. It has a parking lot.
Oregon State University Memorial Union 2501 NW Jefferson Way
Other dance/Music Events
Where else can I dance?
- Corvallis Hoolyeh Folk Dancing — 1st and 3rd Sundays at the First Congregational Church on West Hills Road. Time: 7 to 9 pm. Costs: $3, discount for CFS members
- Ashland contra dances — USUALLY third Saturdays in Ashland
- Ashland Heather and Rose Country Dancers — Gender free dances every Monday, 7:30 to 9:30
- Astoria contra dances — Monthly (dates vary). For more information, call (503) 325-0278
- Bend contra dances — Second Saturday (Oct to April, sometimes 4th Sats too!)
- Coos: South Coast Folk Society — First (and Fifth) Saturday October – May. Bay Area Senior Activity Center: 4th and Ingersoll, Coos Bay. Start time 7:00pm
- Eugene Contra Dances — 2nd & 4th Saturdays
- Eugene English & Scottish Country Dance — Every Thursday 7:00pm
- Hood River contra dances — Second Saturdays
- Klamath Falls contra dances (Facebook page) — OCCASIONAL Saturdays in Klamath Falls
- La Grande contra dances — Second Saturdays (NE Oregon Folklore Society)
- McMinnville English Country Dance Lessons — Every Thursday (with break from Thanksgiving through New Years)
- Pistol River ContraDances — 3rd Fridays at 24252 Carpenterville Rd, Pistol River, OR
- Portland Contra Dances — Every Saturday (some hosted by PCDC)
- Salem contra dances — Irregular, often fifth Saturdays
- Vancouver, Washington “Contra in the Couve” — Second Friday. Lesson at 7:30, dance at 8:00
- Elsewhere — Contra Dance Links on the Web
- Elsewhere — Ted Crane’s very complete database of musicians, callers, dances
- Elsewhere — The Dance Gypsy (excellent coverage of New England, good elsewhere, and lots of camps)